In response to a question by a PAS Parliamentarian on Kelantan's claims for oil royalties from Petronas, Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak announced a compassionate payment for the State on top of a Federal Government budget allocation under the 9th Malaysia Plan.
Quoting from Wang ehsan for Kelantan from next year (NST : 4 Nov 2009) and Najib: 'Wang ehsan' is an additional amount (NST : 5 Nov 2009) ,
- "Under the 9th Malaysia Plan, the government is giving Kelantan more than RM7 billion. That is huge. Even without the wang ehsan, the government is already committed to developing Kelantan."
- "The wang ehsan is an additional amount, which is being channelled to the Kelantan people," he said, adding that the government would be transparent and would discuss with the Kelantan government before implementing projects."
- "To ensure that the money is enjoyed directly by the people of Kelantan, the allocation will be in the form of development projects and poverty eradication programmes and will be channelled directly by the federal government after discussion with the state government."
There are many pro PAS bloggers out there. However, I only enjoy reading one - Sheih Kickdefella - since he provides detailed arguments and reasoning consistently.
Though at times I do not agree with certain views, we must agree to disagree and understand that his perspectives are as a PAS member.
Sheih wrote two articles that seem to argue, with great details, on Petronas operations in waters of Kelantan (debatable due to boundaries definition).
The original article presented the points :
Petronas Jangan Tipu Rakyat Kelantan (summary)
- Pada 9 Mei 1975, Menteri Besar Kelantan ketika itu, Dato’ Haji Mohamed Bin Nasir telah menandatangani perjanjian dengan Petroliam Nasional Berhad (Petronas) yang diwakili oleh Pengerusinya, YBM Tengku Tan Sri Razaleigh Hamzah.
- Salah satu butiran perjanjian itu adalah seperti yang tercatat di dalam seksyen 1 (1) yang berbunyi,“Petronas hendaklah membayar wang tunai kepada Kerajaan secara bayaran tahunan sebanyak yang setara dengan 5% dari nilai petroleum yang didapati dan diperolehi di Kelantan…”
- Akta 144 Kemajuan Petroleum 1974 - setiap kawasan di dalam Perairan Malaysia adalah milik salah satu daripada 13 negeri yang disebut di dalam Perlembagaan Persekutuan
- Akta 440 Malaysian-Thailand Joint Authority 1990 - menjamin hak Kelantan ke atas perairan tersebut serta terus mengangkat sebarang perjanjian yang dimeterai sebelumnya.
However, a mainstream blog BigDogDotCom, which I enjoy reading also, has refuted Kelantan's claims on royalty payments from Petronas also based on legislation.
Heuristically hydrocarbon (summary)
- Federal Government is not compelled to give any part of the earnings from oil and gas to any of the states, including Kelantan.
- The Petroleum Development Act does not provide such provisions but instead named Petroliam Nasional Berhad (Petronas) as the sole custodian to all matters pertaining oil and gas.
- The agreement signed between the Petronas and Kelantan State Government on 9 May 1975 still falls under the Petronas Development Act.
- The state borders - three nautical miles from the shores. The international boundary - 12 nautical miles.
- The drilling operations under Malaysian Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) - 200 nautical miles (370 km radius) from the shore.
I have a feeling that this matter will end up in Court.
Anyway, do read BDDC's article as he provided details on Barisan Nasional Government's service to the people (fuel subsidies) and Kelantan (development projects).
I have read many blogs since last year with campaigns called "Perak Bangkit" and "Selangor Bangkit".
These are calls to the people and politicians of the States to rise against the hastily and poorly assembled Opposition parties that have resulted in multiple unrest and numerous by elections.
It is about time Barisan Nasional look into "Kelantan Bangkit" - one mission which Dr M, Tengku Razaleigh and Pak Lah failed.
We almost had it in 2004 where Kelantan was led by PAS with only a one-seat majority. Surely, Kelantanese are not fully behind PAS and their votes do swing to Barisan Nasional.
I say, let's do it and win the people back !