- If we take a look at the education policies in Malaysia, the students enjoy a wide variety as options.
- Tun Dr M was instrumental in liberalization of education policies that allow top foreign universities to set up campuses in Malaysia.
- These campuses include Monash University Malaysia, Nottingham University Malaysia and many more.
- It was also under Tun M that students today especially Lim Kok Wing University College attain global recognition for their work.
- For those in my generation might not know this, but elders will know the Buy British Last policy.
- In UK, when the universities there charged higher tuition fees on Malaysian students.
- Conflicts arised not only from these but also aircraft rights.
- Mahathir stood up for us all and proclaimed a boycott of British products under the "Buy British Last" call.
- When drugs are unwelcomed by everyone, and Malaysia imposed a capital punishment on two Australians for drug trafficking, Australian Prime Minister Paul Keating blasted the Malaysian sovereign rights and laws and labelled the sentence as "barbaric".
- It was Dr Mahathir who stood in front of everyone and defended our laws. That forced a formal apology from the former Prime Minister at the Parliament.
Israel & The World
- In 2008, the world saw with their own eyes when Israel pounded Gaza although the world plead to them for ceasefire.
- Interesting enough, the "superpowers" did not provide any warning to Israel that they will not hesitate to intervene with military operations if Israel fail to stop the attacks.
- It was also reported that The Israeli military are accused of :
- Using powerful shells in civilian areas which the army knew would cause large numbers of innocent casualties;
- Using banned weapons such as phosphorus bombs;
- Holding Palestinian families as human shields;
- Attacking medical facilities, including the killing of 12 ambulance men in marked vehicles;
- Killing large numbers of police who had no military role.
- If we review the speeches of Tun Dr Mahathir, we will of course recall that in 2003, Tun Dr M warned the world about Israelis.
- Tun labelled Israel as the enemy allied with most powerful nations at the Organization of Islamic Conference.
- His statement was heavily slammed by not only Israel but also the Western nations that we today call "superpowers".
- President Bush considered the statement to be "reprehensible and hateful" while Italy expressed their regrets that Tun's statement was offensive and counter to principles of tolerance, dialogue and understanding.
* This will be the last part of the other side of Mahathirism which has been painted wrongly as a Draconian and fearful philosophy of administration.
Before this :
1. Mahathirism In My Eyes & The "Pariah" Writer
2. Mahathirism's Pet Projects
(Credits to The Star, AFP & Agendadaily for the photos)