Nov 2009 : Ong Tee Keat with KTM commuters
December 2009 : Ong Tee Keat with Selayang Wet Market grocers and rakyat
Datuk Seri Ong Tee Keat now walks with the rakyat and talks to them to get direct feedback and hear them out.
WHAT ARE THE OTHER MCA LEADERS DOING ?
I know that MCA leaders (Branch, Division, State, National MCA) do meet industrial organizations, NGOs, business leaders etc.
But those are not the people whom you should meet only.
The masses want to see their leaders - the MCA leaders - not just among the businessmen, leaders of NGOs and certainly not at official functions only.
Long has Pakatan Rakyat set up teams to go to the ground. The teams by DAP, PKR and PAS have gone to the coffee shops, markets, malls, pasar malam and the streets.
Pemuda Barisan Nasional must do the same thing - either together or assign component parties to do it at specific target groups and areas.
UMNO had begun with the program called "Pemuda Masuk Kampung" quite some time ago. What about MCA ?
I always hear that
- MCA leaders are "down to Earth"
- MCA leaders have grassroots support
- MCA leaders have support from the community
- Some of the Chinese community are illiterate and do not know how to approach the Government for help.
- The Chinese community do not believe that if they go to the Government offices, their cases will be heard by the officers.
- The Chinese community have no confidence that anyone can solve their problems.
- The Chinese community wants to see the often claimed "down to Earth" leaders themselves.
- The Chinese community wants to share their views with the "down to Earth" leaders on matters related to them as well as on State and Federal affairs.
- The Chinese community wants to see the "down to Earth" leaders and the teams at the ground talking and mingling with the people.
WHERE ARE THE "DOWN TO EARTH" and "PEOPLE FIRST, PERFORMANCE NOW" MCA LEADERS ?
I still believe that I will only see the leaders at official functions only except for Datuk Seri Ong Tee Keat and several others. Rarely I see leaders go to the ground. Two thumbs up to Datuk Seri Ong !
Some are even worst. They can be seen ONLY DURING ELECTIONS CAMPAIGNING PERIOD !
There was once (before the 12th General Election) I filed a complaint about council workers not doing their job at my housing area. This MCA branch service centre told me, "if you don't tell YB, YB won't know. So you have to tell us only we know."
Down to Earth ? People First Performance Now ? I am not sure myself that these two elements are synonymous to MCA leaders !
MCA leaders or members whom are unhappy with this article can go ahead and blast me. Prove to me that I am wrong.
If what I am saying is true, START GETTING YOUR BUMS OFF THE CHAIR !
Come 13th General Election, I will not hesitate to write and tell all in my blog if the MCA candidates are those only seen once in every 5 years.