Thursday, January 17, 2008

MAS

Never ever have I turned away from choosing MAS as my preferred airline. In fact, I always encourage my pals to fly MAS.

MAS has a homecoming feeling whenever I step into the plane. Even if I leave the country, I still feel at home inside the plane until I step out of it. So all praises go to MAS for this!

However, ok, my friends are beginning to fly Thai Airways, Brunei Airways and Singapore Airlines. Why? Because they are way cheaper!

A return open ticket from Malaysia-Melbourne cost me RM 3700 now ... up from RM 3400 previously. How much does it cost for Thai Airways? I heard my pal got it for RM2800! In fact, Singapore Airlines is at RM 3200.

So I was glad to read The Star article "Expert: Better service with ticket fee" dated 17th January 2008. According to this expert whom I don't know came from where .... I think I should copy the paragraph ...

“The travel agents are now paid for various services. They work for the customer directly, so higher quality of service is natural and expected,” said Bruce Tepper, an established travel consultant in the travel and tourism industries.

Before this, when I paid RM 3400 for my ticket, my travel agent works with me directly, provides me high quality service and is so friendly that I do all my travels under this lady in Ipoh!

So what kind of expert (apparently he is an invited speaker to the MAS Roadshow 2008) are you telling me that with the higher fee, we will get better service? Goodness sake ... I was hoping to read something like "Malaysia Airlines will provide better cabin service like internet access, fresh fruits and food prepared on board, first class amenities and many more".

It is even more hilarious to read Tepper saying


“With the new model, consumers get more honest and knowledgeable advice, and service quality from agents is better,” he said. For agents, the model allows for better control of products and greater profitability for airlines, Tepper said.

Man this is going over the top. I would think that more and more people are saying SAYONARA MALAYSIA AIRLINES and hello Jetstar, Tiger Airways, Singapore Airlines and Thai Airways.

Trust me. If you keep raising the prices, Malaysia Airlines will lose out on the many thousands of Malaysian students and permanent residents currently in Australia. You can wave your hands goodbye to these people and never expect them to fly MAS again.

It is a highly elastic economy for airlines among students. If the prices are lower, I can assure you down to the last dollar in my pockets now that Malaysian students will want to fly MAS.

And please don't come getting this "expert" to tell me "BETTER SERVICE WITH TICKET FEE". I am already getting top class services from my ticketing agent before this and she gives me travel advices etc. So by paying 5% more on tickets now, I will be getting better services?

Wow ... perhaps my travel agent will send a limo to pick me up and send me to the airport?!??

Datuk Idris Jala ... you have done a great job by implementing changes. I am already frustrated with the fact that the Electronic Ticketing system causes problems for Open Ticket holders.

Just the other day I was told off by MAS call centre that I need to ask my agent in Malaysia to reprint the E-Ticket if I want to change my return flight dates. I called my agent and she told me all I have to do is tell them my reservation number which I did in the first place.

So I called up MAS centre again and this time a more helpful lady apologized for the previous operator's actions and helped me all over a tedious process of confirmation and reissuing of another E-Ticket from Australia. That call took me at least 20 minutes.

And I will have to face a higher fee from MAS !? I thought you are saving money from the E-Ticket system !??! And there's an expert going around telling people they will get better service from travel agents if they pay more?

So I pay 5% more, I get 5% better service huh? What if I pay 100% more? Will I get 100% service? You have got to be kidding !!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

MAS is a wonderful airline, good cabin service but not until Idris Jala & Co manages it. Being a businessman we need to fly if possible a non stop flight from KUL to the destination. Well MAS can do it in almost all the destination that I need to go. Very rare for me to take a Transit flight when I flew by MAS> To me MAS was at the TOP level on overall ranking. However we are sensitive on dollars. I found that MAS is the most expensive on all flight sectors compare to other airlines. I had similar experiences like you on pricing. I am wondering, does anyone in MAS do audit on ticket prices with respect to other airlines (SIA, Thai, Cathay) Apple to Apple comparison. Flight and Cabin service of MAS is still the best but that can be a competitive advantage to have more customers. Not surprise that many Malaysian opt for other flag when they travel. Think about it.