Sunday, December 24, 2006

The Story of The Cheapest XYZ% Increase IN THE WORLD ?!

The email below was sent to The Star to voice out my opinions on the recent toll hike . I lost my patience and wrote an emotional email . The Star did not publish it . But this is not going to stop me to share my views with the public . I will do it here at A Piece of My Mind . The place where I hit hard and go soft with many issues .



Dear Editor of The Star , my fellow Malaysians , Government of Malaysia .

The recent hike in toll rates are simply astonishing . It is astonishing to a point that many in the upper echelons and those in the corridors of power argue with a simple reasoning that our toll rates are among the cheapest in the world , our petrol prices are among the cheapest in the world .

True indeed . I represent all Malaysians to agree with the government on this fact . However , I beg to add another fact that is totally undeniable to all Malaysians including the Cabinet and Parliament of Malaysia .

One fact that has the simple argument of 'cheapest' as well . Is it not the case that our payroll and wages are among the 'cheapest' in the world ? Or should I put it in a better word - lowest ?

With the A% increase in toll rates , the B% increase in food prices , the C% increase in petrol prices , the D% increase in sundry prices and of course with a ZERO% increase in wages , what are we left with ?

This is a significantly damaging effect on poverty levels , probably some will not be able to buy vitamins now . Malnourishment might be on the way . Perhaps we will be the new African nations of Asia . Healthcare prices are damaging our lives too . Why are these happening ? Operators argue that petrol and toll prices have increased . Thus , costs of production have increased .

By saying all these , I would like to bring this to the attention of the upper echelons and those who walk the corridors of power .

Our situation now can be described with a few words like economically disastrous , socially preposterous , financially ridiculous and many more .

Those in the income bracket of RM 2000 - 3000 or perhaps even RM 5000 would find it tough to maintain a family of an elderly parents to care for , a wife , and a few kids whose education in the later years will require another huge sum .

How are we to survive ? What will the remedy be ? Ah Longs ? Debts ? Or starve and beg ?

Probably it is high time the government review the need for minimum wages policies , legislations for a sudden ABCDE% increase in payrolls for public and private sectors and many more .

Those who are 'highly knowledgeable' in Economics in the Ministries can think of something better I suppose .



Sincerely ,
Wei Liang