Thus far, we only hear about Dr Chua Soi Lek and Liow Tiong Lai's men discussing about
- the need for fresh polls,
- the time and date of fresh polls and
- the system to be used.
I do not know if Soi Lek's negotiations are also on behalf of Ong Tee Keat or the President has his own men in the round table discussion.
I will be posting a "MCA : Fresh Elections Analysis" soon. But to give you an insight, let me share with you some preliminary thoughts first.
- Ong Tee Keat introduced the 1MCA 1Team with the support from his men, as well as faction leaders Liow Tiong Lai, Wee Ka Siong and Chew Mei Fun.
- Now, Ong Tee Keat's support has been reduced and he is dependent on his loyal supporters only after Liow, Wee and Chew left the alliance as they see an opportunity to move up the ladder.
- Dr Chua Soi Lek survived two political battles.
- The 1st was the "snoop squad - sex scandal" but he came back with a win over Ong Ka Chuan in 2008 to be elected as Deputy President of MCA.
- The 2nd was when he received sufficient Delegates support to move an EGM to overturn his suspension in MCA (4 years). Dr Chua then obtained a Registrar of Societies ruling to reinstate himself as Deputy President of MCA.
- Soi Lek's men remained, Tee Keat's men split into two factions - loyalists and another became the 3rd force.
Do read my further analysis on this matter soon. Anyway, the fresh polls should only be conducted IF AND ONLY IF
- Whole MCA leadership is reelected - National MCA Leadership, Wanita MCA, MCA Youth
- Direct elections system is used
There is no reason why Liow and Dr Chua should reject the above two.
Not all the Youth leaders support Wee Ka Siong's actions of backing Liow Tiong Lai's moves. Not all the Wanita MCA leaders support Chew Mei Fun's actions of backing Liow Tiong Lai's political games.
Moreover, both Wee Ka Siong and Chew Mei Fun won uncontested in 2008 MCA Elections based on "handover" and "unity" concepts at that time.
So, don't play political games with the National MCA Leadership and create a big hoo-haa about fresh elections if you do not want to face the fresh party polls yourself.
Ong Tee Keat must be firm with his conditions for fresh polls.
This could draw flak from both Liow and Dr Chua's team but with the right words and statements, Ong Tee Keat can muscle his way through easily.